Women are strong and powerful. Their resilience shows vividly in all aspects of their lives, even when it comes to the process of aging. But what if they didn’t have to go through complicated or painful medical conditions as a part of this process? What if they could spend their energy doing what they love, rather than on physical concerns? Helping women feel more physically comfortable in their daily lives is the mission of many healthcare professionals across various settings. Below, we’ve collected a sampling of scenarios in which a high-quality compounding pharmacy can help you find effective solutions for your patients.
Vaginal, Pelvic, and Genital Health
The majority of women will face health issues concerning their vaginal, pelvic, or genital area. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, 75 percent of women will experience a yeast infection at least once in their lives (NCBI, 2019). One-quarter of women will develop pelvic floor dysfunction (Hallock et. al., 2016). Other similar medical conditions include pelvic pain, bacterial vaginosis, vulvodynia, and atrophic vaginitis. Although the impact of these issues ranges in severity, they are uncomfortable and inconvenient.
Prescribers can be challenged with treating persistent and recurring conditions. Whether that takes the form of a yeast infection or vaginal bacterial overgrowth, there are compounded options to treat conditions when commercially available drugs have fallen short or when multi-phasic therapy is needed in a single dosage form:
- Yeast (Candida) Infections
- Pelvic Pain
- Bacterial Vaginosis
- Atrophic Vaginitis
Prescribers use many medications, techniques, and therapies to ensure patients experience less pain, decrease the risk of health decline, and regain confidence. When prescribing medication, it is essential to rely on an expert compounding pharmacy with experience in the subtle art of women’s health.
Sexual and Reproductive Health
When it comes to intimate moments with a partner, there is nothing less sexy, or painful, than chronic vaginal discomfort. And unfortunately, it is more prevalent than the general public would assume. Per Harlow and colleagues (2001), 18.5 percent of a sample population experienced lower tract genital pain for more than three months, such as itching or burning. That is a long time for your patients to feel uncomfortable down there! Vulvodynia, perhaps one of the most impactful genital disorders for women, makes it too painful for women to have sex – or even sit for long periods of time. Less severe in discomfort but no less worrisome, vaginal dryness, STDs including Trichomonas, and sexual dysfunction all require specialized treatment.
Additionally, women who find it difficult to get pregnant or women who have complicated pregnancies benefit from individualized care. VLS Pharmacy & New Drug Loft provides prescribers and patients with the custom compounds needed to treat sexual sensitivities and address reproductive needs. This includes hormone replacement therapy, medications, and other essential treatments.
Women don’t need to have a medical condition
to desire or need a boost in their sex lives.
Featured in an article published in Charlotte’s Book, Samantha Blakeney shares that sex can “lower cortisol (the stress hormone) and raise oxytocin (the feel-good hormone)” among other health benefits such as pain relief, improved relaxation, and a strengthened immune system. A great non-prescription option for many women is supplements. Sex and Good offers a few of our favorites:
The OMG Formula is an herbal blend of horny goat weed, a plant that stimulates female hormones, and maca, which heightens sexual desire.
The Oh-mega Yummy Gummy gives your body what it needs to improve your sexual health over a longer period of time. It contains omega-3s (alpha-linolenic acid, linoleic acid, oleic acid), which support hormonal balance.
These supplements focus on raising dopamine levels in the brain to trigger sexual arousal. They also aim to increase female lubrication for easier, more comfortable sex. Lastly, by doing away with artery congestion, omegas may increase sensitivity for pleasurable, feel-good sex. New Drug Loft offers these products as an exclusive brick and mortar retail location – and will even offer same-day delivery in New York City with a quick phone call or text to 212-879-0910. Or visit the Sex and Good website and use code “NDL” for a 20 percent off coupon.
Hormone Replacement Therapy
The most common female patient complaints we hear are the frustrations and discomforts connected to hormone changes and fluctuations. Hormone imbalances can encompass a wide range of issues. Some women become debilitated because of their premenstrual symptoms (PMS and PMDD) of mood swings, joint and back pain, severe cramps, migraines, or nausea. While women going through menopause often experience hot flashes, physical and mental exhaustion, (more!) mood swings, hair loss, dry skin, increased UTIs, and more. To decrease the impact of these imbalances, there are hormone replacement therapies available via prescription from licensed medical professionals.
- Estrogen and progesterone therapy Many women experiencing hormonal imbalance symptoms during perimenopause and menopause will begin estrogen and progesterone therapy. Together, these hormones replace the hormones previously produced by the ovaries (Cleveland Clinic, 2021). Women who previously had hysterectomies or who do not have an intact uterus will not need to take progesterone hormones, as they are not at risk for developing cancer within their uterus (Mount Sinai, 2021). Women who have not had hysterectomies (with an intact uterus) are generally prescribed a combined therapy of estrogen and progesterone to reduce the risk of cell overgrowth within their uterus (Cleveland Clinic, 2021).
- Testosterone replacement therapy Testosterone therapy, which may come in the form of implanted pellets, gels, patches, injections, or oral tablets, is a controlled substance prescribed to increase the sexual libido of a woman. Sometimes, during or after menopause, a woman’s sex drive may decrease (Mayo Clinic, 2021). This can occur for many reasons, so finding the right dosage and delivery mechanism is vital for the therapy’s success. VLS Pharmacy & New Drug Loft offers testosterone replacement as a topical cream, gel, or intramuscular injection (IM).
It is important to note that testosterone therapy literature remains limited and there are no studies that highlight the impacts across all systems. As a prescriber, collaborating with a compounding pharmacy will allow you to assess each patient individually and provide the formulation and dosage that is the most effective and the safest option for each of your patients (Islam et. al., 2019).
- Thyroid and adrenal medications Many clinicians have noted a decrease in thyroid function and an increase in adrenal fatigue amongst women in menopause and postmenopause, particularly those who have experienced chronic stress (Kathryn Retzler, ND). A combination of thyroxine, triiodothyronine, and calcitonin are all impacted based on changes within the reproductive system (Johns Hopkins Medicine, 2021). In addition to holistic recommendations, including decreasing stress and increasing the consumption of specific vitamins and nutrients within the diet, hormone replacement is known to increase recovery and restore function to the thyroid and adrenal glands. At VLS Pharmacy & New Drug Loft, we offer thyroid and adrenal medications (including T3 and T4 and commercially available thyroid hormones including Nature–Throid® Synthroid®, and Armour® Thyroid)*.
Our network’s compounded hormone replacement therapy treatments can help these conditions (and much more). For women who suffer from skin issues as a result of their hormonal imbalance, VLS Pharmacy & New Drug Loft compounds anti-aging solutions that are allergen and preservative-free and customized for the patients’ needs. We produce antioxidant creams and serums and bleaching agents as well.
Stay tuned next month for a feature on Women’s Health Through the Ages: A Focus on Dermatology.
Topical anesthetics for aesthetic procedures
Many women no longer have to suffer in silence (or consider surgery) to address painful intercourse, urinary incontinence, and vaginal aesthetics. This requires an effective and individualized anesthetic. We prepare custom anesthetics for exterior vaginal procedures so that getting the necessary care doesn’t have to be uncomfortable.
Weight management solutions
Many women search their entire lives to find the “right” weight for their body – a weight that feels comfortable, strong, and healthy. There are many ways a compounding pharmacy can be utilized to support women on this journey, especially when solutions are used in conjunction with exercise and healthy eating. Whether a woman in your care is looking to gain weight, lose weight or shift the ratio of fat to muscle, VLS Pharmacy & New Drug Loft has options including:
- Nutritional IV therapy
- Lipotropic injections for increased energy and heightened metabolism. Our multi-ingredient formulations offer a cascade of benefits with the ease of use for the clinician.
- Methionine, Inositol & Choline (MIC) Injectables. Variations can include vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin, hydroxocobalamin, or methylcobalamin form) and vitamin C (ascorbic acid). Ask about our Super Lipotropic Multi-Ingredient Vial.
- Weight loss lollipops with over 20 flavors and Kosher options for prescription-strength medications such as phentermine, chromium, picolinate, and cyanocobalamin.
VLS Pharmacy & New Drug Loft
As 503A pharmacies specializing in sterile and non-sterile compounding, we will support you and your patients by creating safe, individualized + effective pharmaceutical therapies.
No matter the age, feeling healthy, confident, and comfortable is of the utmost importance. Women’s health needs may change with each life stage, and require an adaptive and personalized treatment plan. By working with a trusted compounding pharmacy such as VLS Pharmacy & New Drug Loft you are expanding the possibilities for effective and sustainable care for your patients.
Reach out to our team to learn about best practices and to partner with our experts on custom compounded medications for your patients.
All medications from VLS Pharmacy and New Drug Loft are prepared in a lab that follows safety and quality standards per our status as a 503A pharmacy.
Read More …