Choosing a compounding pharmacy to fill your patients’ prescriptions is an important part of your job. There are three key factors to consider when making this decision:
- Qualifications: Consider the training and expertise of the pharmacy team. Do they hold current accreditations qualifying them to create the medications?
- Secure Supply Chain: Ask about their supply chain management. Where do they source their ingredients? Are they reputable?
- Quality Assurance (QA): Choose the suppliers who performance-test their compounded prescriptions. Do they maintain the highest level of quality control?
At New Drug Loft (a non-sterile compounding lab and retail pharmacy) and VLS Pharmacy (a sterile and non-sterile compounding lab and retail pharmacy), we offer experience and expertise; quality and safety standards; and service and delivery. We understand that patient self-reporting is inaccurate and unreliable. The efficacy of drug regimens is dependent on the production of a predictable, quality pharmacologically-active agent whose parent compounds and metabolites provide a suitable half-life in the patient’s system. At New Drug Loft and VLS Pharmacy, we are committed to objective measures of compound-efficacy as essential components of QA.
Read on to learn more about the benefits of compounding as well as what makes our facilities stand above the rest.
Why Choose Compounding?
Compounding allows you to offer your patients the exact required dose, to remove allergens and fillers (which are very common in commercial drugs), and to convert the medication into a preferred form. It allows you to give your patients exactly what they need for their best treatment and for the best price. In other words, compounding is always the perfect fit.
The benefits of compounding include:
Are you a prescriber looking for compounded medical solutions?
Please complete our new account form.
- Customization of active ingredients and concentrations by combining complementary medications into a single-dose format.
- Alleviation of financial woes caused by the unpredictable price increases of commercial drugs.
- Formulations with adjustable doses, including oral capsules, lotions and creams, transdermal gels, rectal/vaginal suppositories, sublingual drops, pre-measured oral and topical syringes, powders, sprays, and more.
- Personalization of medications based on a patient’s allergies or sensitivities.
- Conceptualization of medications that are easy-to-use for unique patient populations, such as children or the elderly.
- Collaboration with an expert team, which is especially important if you are new to writing prescriptions for compounded medications or if you have a novel idea you want to create.
Why Choose VLS Pharmacy?
At VLS Pharmacy, we are committed to creating the safest, custom-made prescription medications for your patients. We understand the difficulty of trying to fit their needs into the limits of widely-available commercial drugs. As a 503A pharmacy, we want to help you find the best prescription solutions, which is why hundreds of physicians have collaborated with us to custom-build medications. Our clients can see our commitment to excellence — from our unparalleled quality control and premium customer service to our broad compounding capabilities and expert team.
Our licenses, affiliations, and accreditations include:
- Professional Compounding Centers of America (PCCA)
- Alliance for Pharmacy Compounding
- Pharmacists Society of the State of New York, Inc. (PSSNY)
- American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M)
- American College for Advancement in Medicine (ACAM)
- American Med Spa Association
- U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention
- The Institute for Functional Medicine
- 2016 FocusScript UCAP (only VLS Pharmacy holds this credential)
- Accreditation Commission for Health Care (ACHC)
- Pharmacy Compounding Accreditation Board (PCAB)
- LDN Research Trust
- Verified Pharmacy Program (VPP) from the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
- Better Business Bureau (BBB)
Our Compounding Facilities
Our compounding facilities feature state-of-the-art labs, with New Drug Loft equipped for sterile compounding and VLS Pharmacy equipped for sterile and non-sterile compounding — both at the highest quality standard set by USP. Because of this high level of care, we can compound medications for ophthalmic use as well as intravenous and intramuscular administration.
Our facility at VLS Pharmacy features:
- USP <797> sterile rooms, one segregated specifically for hazardous drugs.
- Cleanroom systems for product protection.
- HEPA-filtered airflow ISO Class 5 Laminar flow hoods, which allows our team to preserve uniform airflow, prevent sample contamination and create a particulate-free work area.
- Amber hood workbench technology, uniquely used to compound photosensitive substances including hydroquinone, retinoic acid, and methylcobalamin.
Like a large pharmaceutical manufacturing facility, our lab is continually monitored for temperature, humidity, and airflow. Through the following measures, we maintain an unprecedented level of quality control and ensure the safety of your patients:
- We are both USP <71> and <81> compliant for in-house sterility and anti-microbial assay testing.
- Our active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) are sourced from FDA-approved facilities with MSDS and certificates of analysis to support purity and potency levels.
- We trace every component to ensure nothing is contaminated or compromised through the sterile compounding process.
Our step-by-step quality control process includes five essential steps:
- First, we review your order for appropriate dosing and accuracy.
- Next, your order is processed and validated by a compounding pharmacist.
- Your order is adjudicated and sent to the lab.
- Then, the prescription is compounded and verified by a pharmacist. We conduct testing for sterility, potency, and endotoxins.
- Finally, we package your order for pick-up or overnight shipping via FedEx.
Thanks to our vast array of compounding expertise, we create sterile and non-sterile medications for numerous medical specialties, including:
- Integrative medicine, which covers:
- Nutritional intravenous (IV) therapies, an essential service that meets a growing demand among physicians and their patients for alternative, holistic therapies
- Male and female bio-identical hormone replacement, which includes medications for sexual health as well as thyroid and adrenal issues
- Weight management treatments
- Hair loss
- Pediatrics, including the formulation of medications as creams, suppositories, special gels, and flavored liquids for easier administration
- Pain management
VLS Pharmacy is especially proud to offer ophthalmic compounding for our physicians. These custom medications can be used to treat conditions such as cataracts, conjunctivitis (pink eye), chronic dry eye, fungal eye infections, glaucoma, and macular degeneration. Because it requires specialized equipment and an extremely sterile environment, it is a less common practice for compounding pharmacies.
Reach out to our team to learn about best practices and to partner with our experts on custom compounded medications for your patients.
All medications from VLS Pharmacy and New Drug Loft are prepared in a lab that follows safety and quality standards per our status as a 503A pharmacy.