Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a pervasive diagnosis among males in the U.S. It is estimated that over 30 million men in the country struggle with the condition(1). 1 in 4 men over the age of 30 will face low levels of testosterone that can contribute to a diminished libido and further power the cycle of impotence (2). Even worse, the sensitive subject of ED remains mired in stigma. Many patients fear ‘admitting’ to their physician that they are experiencing erectile dysfunction, causing it to go undiagnosed. And more often than not, when patients do seek help, traditional treatment plans fail to work or don’t comprehensively target symptoms.
Pharmaceutical compounds have long been an opportunity for patients and prescribers seeking custom, alternative solutions to life-impacting sexual health problems. Now, they are increasingly becoming part of the conversation and a more popularized patient-centric solution.
Oral Medications for Erectile Dysfunction Catered To The Individual
Patients may be familiar with brand-name solutions to their diagnosis, but compounded solutions of these PDE5 inhibitors, namely, sildenafil and tadalafil, offer prescribers and patients new opportunities for care including:
- Faster onset. When medications are compounded in sublingual troches, patients experience quicker onset as a benefit of this efficient drug delivery system.
- Orgasm enhancement. Compounded tadalafil can be combined with ingredients such as oxytocin (often nicknamed ‘the love hormone’) which is believed to enhance orgasms.
- No bitter flavors. Compounded medications allow for the introduction of masking agents for a better sensorial experience. Popular choices at our pharmacy include marshmallow or crema de minte.
Testosterone Replacement Therapy for Erectile Dysfunction
Diagnosed with a standard blood serum test, low or imbalanced testosterone levels can manifest as low libido and erectile dysfunction as well as lethargy, the overall loss of ‘mojo’ and/or a decrease in muscle mass. With careful, custom testosterone replacement therapy, patients often experience a dramatic improvement in their personal and sexual health, improved, sustained erections, increased output during exercise and a boost in energy levels.*
Advanced Intracavernosal Injections: BiMix, TriMix and Quad Mix for Erectile Dysfunction
When patients are not responding to oral medications or hormone replacement therapy, prescribers may consider sterile self-injections to treat erectile dysfunction and offer patients new hope. When properly dosed, 80% of patients will experience an erection with penile injections (3). These can range from:
- BiMix, a combined therapy containing papaverine (a vasodilator) and phentolamine (allows blood vessels of the penis to relax and dilate).
- TriMix, combining papaverine, phentolamine and alprostadil (another vasodilator).
- QuadMix, combining papaverine, phentolamine, alprostadil and prostaglandin.
Erectile Dysfunction: Solutions For Every Patient
Today, pharmacies that can produce both non-sterile and sterile compound medications offer prescribers access to the widest range of options for patients, not just medication formats and doses, but enriched formulas that can improve patient performance, compliance and experience, as well as advanced measures such as intracavernosal injections when other options fail. As a result, the right compounding pharmacy will act as the trusted, convenient and singular destination for patients’ erectile dysfunction and sexual health.
*All of our bioidentical hormones are plant-based rather than synthetic in order to better replicate the natural hormones produced in the body.
Disclaimer: The content of this post is not meant to be a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Patients should always seek the advice of a medical professional for any questions related to a medical concern.
³Peter R. Carroll, MD, MPH; Tom F. Lue, MD, ScD (Hon), FACS; and Stan Rosenfeld