June marks men’s health month and in honor of this important subject, we’re shining a spotlight on two prominent (and sensitive) issues that impact a man’s self-image and confidence: hair loss and low testosterone (low T). While many men think of these health issue as ‘just a part of life’ or inevitable aspects of aging, there are, in fact, many solutions that make hair loss and low T a choice. Even better, these solutions can help counter the side effects or disappointments of alternative therapies (i.e. many men find that Rogaine smells bad or can be uncomfortable on the scalp; or discover that Viagra only provides them with spontaneous results). Today, there are very significant compounded medications that can dramatically improve a patient’s lifestyle so that they can tackle aging without the disappointments and all the reward.
Below, an overview on what this can look like:
Hair Loss Treatments
According to the American Association of Hair Loss, by the age of 35 over two thirds of men in the United States will experience some hair loss as a result of androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness (MPB). By the age of 50, a staggering 85% of men will have thinning hair. Despite its prevalence, the psychological and emotional implications of hair loss can be far-reaching or even devastating.
The good news?
Are you a prescriber looking for compounded medical solutions?
Please complete our new account form.
Treatment options to ameliorate existing hair loss or stem the tide of a receding hairline in the future have exploded over the past few years, many with promising results. From transplant and restoration surgery to the advent of 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors, hair loss is no longer inevitable, or crippling.
Compounded formulations play an integral role in patient treatment for hair loss at a prescription level by addressing hair loss at the complex biological level that over-the-counter medications cannot. Custom, multi-phasic compounds can include ingredients such as:
- Minoxidil (the only FDA-approved ingredient to treat hair loss) that acts as an antihypertensive vasodilator to help slow hair loss and stimulate new growth. It can be compounded at prescription-strength levels up to 10% and combined with other actives.
- Perfect in conjunction with platelet rich plasma (PRP) treatments as part of a patient’s daily topical home-care
- Complements other treatments including transplant surgery
- Finasteride (can be prepared as a topical solution that is comparable to its oral counterpart without sexual side effects)
- Estradiol and progesterone (endogenous sex hormones)
- Fluocinolone (a topical steroid that supports the treatment of skin conditions like eczema)
- Retinoic Acid
- Biotin and saw palmetto
- Biopeptide blend (proprietary)
Testosterone Hormone Replacement Therapy
It is estimated that 4 out of 10 men over the age of 45 suffer from low testosterone levels. The results of this can be life altering with even the slightest hormonal imbalance significantly impacting a man’s quality of life including everything from low libido and problems with erections to low energy and loss of bone and muscle mass.
With a comprehensive panel of blood work, a physician can assess a patient’s levels of testosterone imbalance and start working on a treatment plan for replacement therapy.
As every patient’s needs are different, we work to make sure each compounded testosterone replacement therapy is available in a variety of formats including:
- Topical creams or gels
- Intramuscular Injections (IM)
We look forward to partnering with you. Interested in learning more about our compounding capabilities, writing a prescription or working on a project?